Today we bringing you a tasty chicken dish courtesy of Portuguese Food. This dish is perfect for your Sunday lunch and looks delicious to say the least.
Frango com Natas or in English, Chicken in Bechamel Sauce is a Portuguese food recipe baked in the oven until golden.
- 2-3 pound chicken, cut up in serving pieces
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ up white wine
- 3 large potatoes, sliced fine
- Coarse salt to taste
- White ground pepper to taste
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ⅔ cup tablespoons flour
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 small, whole peeled onion, stuck with 2 whole cloves and 1 bay leaf
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch white ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Rinse and place the chicken in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon coarse salt to the water. Reduce the heat to simmer and continue cooking until the meat is nearly falling off the bones, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a bowl and reserve until cool enough to handle.
- Debone the chicken, shredding the meat by hand and reserve the meat, covered.
- Heat the olive oil in a 4-quart pot. Add the onions and sauté them until they are glassy. Toss in the garlic and bay leaf. Pour in the wine and simmer for 1 minute. Mix the shredded chicken into the onion sauce. Season carefully with just a touch of salt and pepper – not too much because you will have salt in the béchamel sauce.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them in a fine julienne or thin rounds. Working in small batches, fry them in vegetable oil until golden. Drain well on paper toweling and add the potatoes to the chicken and onions.
- To make the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour making a paste. When it starts to foam and is pale yellow, it should fall from the whisk like wet sand. Gradually, while whisking, pour in the cold milk. Add the onion studded with cloves and nutmeg, salt, pepper. While constantly stirring, cook over medium low heat, simmering for about 20 minutes until thickens like heavy cream. Do not boil. Mix ½ of the sauce with the chicken mix and the cream. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, gently toss to coat everything.
- Transfer the chicken to a large baking dish. Pour the remaining sauce over the top evenly. Bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly and slightly golden touches on top.