This recipe for Portuguese Papo Seco stuffed Pork Chops is perfect for a Sunday family lunch.
– 6 pork chops
– 2 teaspoons of salt
– 1 teaspoon of pepper
– 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
– 2 teaspoons of paprika
– 2 eggs (beaten)
– 2 cups of seasoned bread crumbs
– 3 Papo Seco rolls (cut into cubes)
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
– 1 small onion (diced)
– 1 small celery stalk
– 2 cups of chicken broth (or 1 chicken bouillon with 2 cups of hot water)
– 1 tablespoon of parsley (chopped)
– 1/2 teaspoon of dried thyme
– 1 cup cooked corn
– Cut a slit into each pork chop for stuffing. Season with the spices and set aside while you make the stuffing.
– Prepare stuffing by sauteing the onion and celery in the butter and oil for about 3 minutes until cooked. Add the bread and the rest of the stuffing ingredients except corn and mix well with a fork until the bread is soft and it has absorbed the broth. Add the corn and mix well. If you find the stuffing too wet add more bread, or add more broth if too dry.
– Place the beaten eggs and bread crumbs into 2 separate bowls big enough to hold the pork chops for dredging.
– Stuff the pork chops with about 2 or 3 tablespoons of stuffing and secure with 2 toothpicks.
– Coat chops with the egg on both sides, then dredge into the bread crumbs.
– Place on greased cooking tray and spray the tops with a coating of cooking spray.
– Cook at 180 degrees for about 45 minutes or until golden brown.