Summer is fast approaching and with the warm weather Cape Town has had lately, hours are going to be spent basking in the sun on the beach sands of Camps Bay or hiking along Table Mountain’s trails.
The Mother City is blessed with a list of rich activities to savour and recently I stumbled upon another little gem en route to Stellenbosch, called the Polkadraai Strawberry Farm.
Situated at the mouth of the wine route, this 20 hectare holding sets the scene for a family day out (with the added bonus of a little exercise), in the strawberry patches.
Polkadraai Strawberry farm is one of just a handful of strawberry farms where you and your little ones can take a steady stroll past the many remarkably colourful and unique scarecrows, dotted along the well-maintained lanes to pick some of the juiciest and sweetest strawberries the Cape has to offer straight off the vine.
Polkadraai is ideal for a quick pitstop for waffles and ice-cream or to take a photo with the giant strawberry as you enter the farm.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Each person entering the strawberry fields must purchase a container in-store and available in various sizes:
- The Junior picker (Ideal for kids) – R25 for 900g
- The Harvester (Will give you enough to snack on throughout the day) – R40 for 1.4kg
- The Professional (a little extra for the family back home) – R120 for 4.5kg
- The Ultimate picker (master chef in the making) – R170 for 6.5kg
- The bonus is, once you have completed your walk down the lane you would have come back 5kg lighter!
So if a packed beach front or bustling shopping mall is not your preferred destination to spend a summer Saturday afternoon, whether you’re cycling or driving out to the winelands, why not pop into the Polkadraai Strawberry Farm? it’s a uniquely different experience to treat the family and your taste buds.
For more information visit the Facebook page.
By Liesl Van Der Schyff